Well, what can I say....? Coleman PASSED and we are all so happy!! The test was LONG (a little over 2 hours) and intense. They changed the format of the exam so that kids really could fail, and some did.... It was stressful and they really wanted you to EARN your black belt. 5 kids failed and I am still happily surprised. Happy? It is a good life lesson. Nowadays failure is a bad word. The master said, "Fall down 7 times, get up 8 times!!" I believe in this and was raised that way. I was and am successful because of my choices not because I was coddled and overly protected. Anyway, enough of that.... let's talk about COLEMAN.
He performed with finesse, focus and strength. He kicked the card OUT of the instructor 's hand four or five times. The instructor was getting a little annoyed, but it was because Coleman was kicking and punching with more drive than most in the room. Get this, as he was practicing his form, HE LOST A TOOTH!! ha ha!! He made a strange face and came over with a tooth in his hand. Very funny and unexpected. I love that kid. His forms were sharp and watching him I absolutely knew he was ready and that all the years in karate have really paid off.
I was very emotional. I wanted to cry in the end. To tell you the truth, I want to cry while typing this. I learned that I need to trust in Coleman more. He is smart and has a good head on his shoulders. He does need some prodding at times, but he is wise for his years and I should listen to him better. We took a million pics and I am going to post a million pics... We haven't talked about the future of karate, but I will support him in whatever he decides. He is busy and it is his time we are talking about.
So, the day was great. We are so proud of Coleman. He is growing up too fast. In two weeks he will be 12. My first baby, 12 years old.... My first baby, a black belt!!! Life is good. Really good.
He performed with finesse, focus and strength. He kicked the card OUT of the instructor 's hand four or five times. The instructor was getting a little annoyed, but it was because Coleman was kicking and punching with more drive than most in the room. Get this, as he was practicing his form, HE LOST A TOOTH!! ha ha!! He made a strange face and came over with a tooth in his hand. Very funny and unexpected. I love that kid. His forms were sharp and watching him I absolutely knew he was ready and that all the years in karate have really paid off.
I was very emotional. I wanted to cry in the end. To tell you the truth, I want to cry while typing this. I learned that I need to trust in Coleman more. He is smart and has a good head on his shoulders. He does need some prodding at times, but he is wise for his years and I should listen to him better. We took a million pics and I am going to post a million pics... We haven't talked about the future of karate, but I will support him in whatever he decides. He is busy and it is his time we are talking about.
So, the day was great. We are so proud of Coleman. He is growing up too fast. In two weeks he will be 12. My first baby, 12 years old.... My first baby, a black belt!!! Life is good. Really good.
The last part of the exam was different forms. Forms have many steps and have to memorized perfectly. Coleman is so focused!


A proud Daddy!!
Mr. Daniel, Coleman's main instructor. We love him even though he is a very tough teacher. He means business and has taught Coleman many important physical and life skills. What a great day!


4 comments:
Great post Mommy! Also makes me want to cry! I am so freaking proud of Coleman, words can't even describe. He was beyond exceptional during his black belt test. He really was laser focused and showed the black belt review board that he was deserving of such a huge accomplishment. Not only has he learned a great skill, they have taught him some very good life lessons. GREAT JOB COLEMAN!!! I LOVE YOU!
Dad
Good job Coleman!! I know that this test was a huge stress in life, but you did it!! I am so proud of my nephew! Thanks Anjie for blogging about it!! I love you guys and miss you!!
Coleman - congratulations on your hard earned achievement. The photos gave us some idea of the astonishing feates you had to perform. We think you are amazing and hope you will give us a good demonstration come Thanksgiving. Thanks for being such a good example of hard work and dedication. We love you Coleman.
WOW, really that is so impressive. Great pictures! What an accomplishment he should be very proud. I know I am.
Post a Comment