Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Early morning pleasantries

My M-F early (icky) morning routine goes a little like this...... I wake up at 6:20 (I really need to wake up earlier and go to the gym or make friends with my treadmill), lie there for 5-7 minutes and try not to fall back asleep (sometimes I do... oops! Good thing Coleman usually wakes up and give me a quick tap on the shoulder. Got to love responsible children!!) and eventually stumble to Coleman's room to make sure he is awake too. On the way, I close Gabe's door, tiptoe into Finn's room and check on the blanket status of Tate and Finn. 9.9 out of 10 times, I QUIETLY cover Finn, search for an extra binky (just in case), completely cover Tate (did I mention that my kids start the evening in pj's and end their glorious slumber in their undies.... hence the freezing issue in the mornings. Boys....or rather hot blooded boys like their handsome, awesome, HOT blooded father!!) I usually don't cover Gabe in the mornings because he is a pretty light sleeper from about five on and I don't want to wake him up. He just freezes. Poor chilly Gabe. JK!! Don't feel sorry for him, it is common to see steam STILL rising from the child at 7:30. That boy is always hot, hot and hotter. I can't imagine.

Anyway, this morning I crept into Finn's room to assess the situation. I cover Tate who is hovering at the bottom of the bed, pj's on the floor. Finn's legs are awkwardly on the pillow, no blankets or binkies to be found. I gingerly take his legs off the pillow, cover him and find a binky. He barely puts his head up (crap!), whispers, "Thanks."(awwww!) and goes back to sleep. I put the binky in his mouth and he gently touches my finger. It was a tender moment.

Finn is a very polite boy. He is also very sweet. The truly endearing part of this story and quality of Finn is his mature sense of gratitude and appreciation. His room is pitch dark. He knows it is early and he is really thankful that he is warmer, cozier and happier sucking on a binky. I love my other boys, but they have no clue that for almost 12 years we have been covering them at all times during the night. Eric will stumble to the bathroom in the middle of the night and then make his way to all the rooms just to check the "blankie situation". We both don't expect a thank you. We do this because we love them and honestly want them to sleep as long as they possibly can (especially on Saturdays and Sundays!! Ha ha! You know that hardly ever happens...)

So, while my kids (not Coleman... he is long gone!) are still sleeping when they should actually be hustling around, getting ready for school, I lay in my bed typing the memory that will soon be in print. I can only hope that Finn will always be this polite, sweet and grateful, but if he falters, I have proof that for a long period of time he was a complete angel. The best rewards in life are moments like this morning. I love my children and know that they do love me. It is just so refreshing and wonderful to feel appreciated and loved by words and actions. It was definitely a nice way to start out my day.

Life is good!!

1 comment:

JENNIFRO said...

That was SO precious--what a darling little boy he is. That would make anyones morning--the simple things mean the most..