Friday, September 2, 2011

I'm Trying to be like Jesus


I have a lot of worthwhile catching up to do, but daily experiences are just getting in the way. I was busy today. I was at the computer trying to figure out Gabe's baptism program and Finn asked me to go outside and push him on the swing. I said, "No, not right now...." Pause pause. He then asked me "Please?" (in a very sweet voice...) I looked at my darling Finn and thought how could I not do this. I stopped what I was doing and went outside with my last toddler. We played on the swing (oh how we love that swing!!) for a while and then jumped on the tramp. After a lot of jumping we laid down and looked at the trees, tried to catch a raindrop (being that we are below many trees, we are fairly sheltered) and I asked him if he would like to hear a story. Finn said yes and I asked him what he would like a story about. He said, Tell me a story about Jesus. This is a tender and proud moment for a mom. He is only three, yet feels and knows the important of his Savior, Jesus Christ. I love that.

I told him the story about Jesus getting "lost" and his parents finding him in the temple teaching the Jewish religious leaders. He had lots of "whys" and then was content with the story. We lay on the tramp for about an hour, looking up in the sky, getting wet and relishing the quiet moments of togetherness. My heart was full and yet I wonder why I don't do this more often. Life is too short to linger on the computer and choose dishes over time outside with your kids. I love being reminded of life's true importance.

Why the book? I was buying some baptismal books etc for Gabe's upcoming baptism and saw this book. I love the title and it reminded me of Finn and his innocent and unconditional love of Jesus. I really love the description. It made me happy and so I bought it. Here is the description, I like it and think you will too.

President Gordon B. Hinckley was fond of saying, "Be believing. Be happy. Don't get discouraged. Things will work out." How could he, and all the other prophets and leaders of the Church, be so positive? Because they have the big picture. They know what is coming. Despite all the struggles, hardships, difficulties, ordeals, and even painful afflictions of this life, they know that the glorious cause of the kingdom of God will triumph. Triumph is just a little umph added to try.

The books chapters are this:
  1. Be Happy
  2. Be Holy
  3. Be Spiritually Minded
  4. Be Humble
  5. Be Knowledgeable
  6. Be Serviceable
  7. Be Prayerful
  8. Be Peaceful
  9. Be Fruitful
  10. Be Obedient
  11. Be Loving
  12. Be Forgiving
  13. Be Long-Suffering
  14. Be Persevering
  15. Be United
  16. Be Dedicated
  17. Be Disciplined
  18. Be Christlike
I want all of those qualities and more importantly, I want to teach my boys those as well. Life is full of wonderful, memorable moments. They can be missed if we don't take the time to recognize them or invite them into our busy lives. Today was a blessing. Here is to many, many more and to some good reading to boot!

Life is grand!!

2 comments:

robyn said...

sounds like a good one! i'll add it to my stack...

robyn said...

p.s. a lesson i need to remember every day: be happy! no matter what! thank you for the reminder and inspiration.