I would like to think that the Dalai Lama is in fact, a good guy who really wants people to live in harmony with one another. I am, in fact, a good gal who really wants the same thing. However, my view during this particular conversation on world peace was rather negative. I just feel that so many cultures and religions make it impossible to love, respect and value all types and genders of people. Sad but true. It will likely be the downfall to us all and the pathway to the Second Coming. Something has to get the ball rolling, right?
Anyway, one day in Costa Rica we went to a popular surf beach. I chose not to surf and watch our stuff instead. I rented a chair for the day and planted myself. It was a beautiful day and the beach was covered with people from all over the world. I appreciate diversity (hence staying in the East) and so I intently people watched. As I sat watching, relaxing and sipping on my coconut water, a snow cone stand wheeled in front of my view and set up shop. At first I was annoyed that my view was now blocked, but then I started to watch the man work and all the people lining up to have a snow cone on the beach. First of all, to make the shaved ice, the man had to manually shave the ice and he had to work HARD. The cart seemed to be sturdy until he started working and then it would shake to and fro. The thing that really caught my eye was all the different people that lined up for a snow cone and their reactions and elation after receiving one. The flavors were tropical and exotic juices, not the typical chemical mysteries that America serves up.
I listened to the different languages of each person and was touched (yes I said touched) at the happiness and smiles each person shared with the man working and even myself after getting their special treat. I had a funny thought that if you could set up a snow cone stand in the middle of a war that maybe, just maybe the soldiers would stop for a spell, forget about the hatred and injustices and line up to get a snow cone. EVERYONE loves snow cones. Snow cones can break boundaries and even create some happiness and.....peace.
This little, quaint snow cone stand is my new and improved vision on world peace. Something I thought unattainable can happen. We just have to look for it and appreciate the simple actions and pleasures of life. I don't usually have the time to sit and think about the affairs of the world and I am not sure that given the time, I even want to. I know how things will eventually end so why invest???? I will tell you why, for the smiles, for the small things that bring us all together, for my Savior and His love for all of us. I will try a little harder, seek for more opportunities to serve, try not to judge others, countries, leaders, religions etc. I will be a better person and try to make a difference in the world no matter how small. I will teach my children to love and respect all people. I learned a good lesson that fine day and I got a tan while doing it. Can't beat that. I am so glad I took a picture of the stand so I can always remember that you can learn new things and recreate yourself and your views and opinions every day, no matter what you are doing and where you are placed.
Life is good. Wish I had a snow cone!! (O:
1 comment:
We had a sno cone machine for Finn's birthday! I guess we're starting to spread the love!!
Post a Comment