Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oh.... the winter wind!


Blow, blow, thou winter wind,
Thou art not so unkind
As man's ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.

Heigh-ho! sing heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then, heigh-ho! the holly!
This life is most jolly.

Freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky,
Thou dost not bite so nigh
As benefits forgot:
Though thou the waters warp,
Thy sting is not so sharp
As friend remember'd not.

Heigh-ho! sing heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then, heigh-ho! the holly!
This life is most jolly.

~William Shakespeare




Today it is 27 degrees. Too cold... Too cold. Last winter we had massive snow although I wasn't really affected by it as I was in my bed, warm and neglectful of any winter weather. This winter has been really, really cold... and the wind.... Horrible! Shakespeare knew what he was talking about blowing winter winds and bitter skies. Ick!

Still, we have had one decent snow and managed to play outside until it was eventually covered on top with a blanket of ice. Ice is no fun to play in. This year the boys are all fully outfitted (why did it take 12 years....?) for outdoor play. We have thankfully missed many bad winter storms. With Eric on the blink, it is hard for me to try to dig us out and keep everyone happy and entertained. The boys like Eric. He is a lot more fun... usually!

I wish I would have taken them sledding more, but Saturdays are busy and Sundays I turn into a lazy log of a mom. I am secretly hoping for one more good snow so we can hit the sledding hills a couple more times. Coleman and Tate have been going skiing most Fridays so at least there is that. Thanks Brother Nick btw!

And so, I count down the months or maybe even days til warmer weather. Next year we are going somewhere warm to break up the cold, colder and coldest months. Bermuda? St. Thomas? Florida? Costa Rica? I don't know, but I am sure as heck going to plan it and execute it!!

Until then I will fire up some hot chocolate, dream of sandy beaches and be thankful that we all have warm gloves and a self starter for my car. Just peachy!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My selfish vote is COSTA RICA baby!! You can miss the snow and visit Aunt Lizzie!!! The pics are super pretty, but I know that looks can be deceiving. That is great that Coleman and Tate are skiing though, making Eric proud I am sure!!

Dayna said...

According to the latest episode of The Bachelur:), Costa Rica has the longest zip line in the world. It's on my lust for sure.

mainelove said...

Don't worry you will have plenty of snow in February. Perhaps you should think about it a little more when your friends offer you a free trip to St. John. For most people that is a no-brainer. Hmmmmm......