On Sunday we had an excellent lesson on the Holy Ghost. It was like a big wake up call to me and my bad habit of yelling etc. I was reminded that when a person bickers, yells or does something that is negative to one's children or spouse, that it offends the Holy Ghost and He withdraws from your home and presence. I am a big contributor to kicking Him to the curb with my yelling and bad language.....I am going to change. As a follow up and apology session, I had a FHE on the RS lesson. I know my home could be more like heaven if I just chill out a bit. I have done lots better the last year or so... but, could still do even better. I want my kids to adore me ALL the time and I also want the Holy Spirit to be a constant companion in our home and in my personal life. I need Him.So, Monday evening.....all I heard was a loud scream. I can decipher all kinds of screams and cries like most moms do and this was definitely NOT the good kind. It was serious. I ran to the stairs as Tate was carrying Finn up the stairs. All I could see was blood, EVERYWHERE and.... it was spurting (yes, SPURTING) out of his head. I grabbed him and turned as Gabe blurted out, "I am a bad boy!"..... WAIT A MINUTE..... And here is where it gets good.... A "bad boy???" this means... NO!! And instead of freaking out (like I occasionally do), my first thought was, "Be calm. This is when you really need the Holy Ghost with you. Let Him help you."
I quickly and calmly told Gabe to get ready for bed and to go to bed. I took Finn in the kitchen and put pressure on his head wound. Tate retrieved my phones and I called the Hanson's (Coleman was over there playing games. Nice huh?!) for some help. I didn't know what the wound looked like and from all the blood I thought we were in for a ride to the ole hospital.
I got the bleeding under control and took a peek..... it was small. Probably needed a couple of stitches, but I have some left over steri-strip that just might do the trick. Still calm. I take a couple of pics for notoriety and text it to Eric. Oh boy.... Matt and Natalie rush in (love them!!). All the blood shocks them as it shocked me. All is going to be okay. Natalie starts to clean up Finn while I look for the strips and medicine. Matt grabs a big meat cleaver and wants to take a pic of Finn holding it. I really wasn't in the mood, but now I secretly regret it because it would have made a perfect pic for something someday. Nice to know that my friends exhibit the same sick sense of humor that I have....Still calm, still calm.
I won't bore you with the remaining details. To sum it up, I got everything cleaned up and everyone to bed. By the time I was almost finished, I didn't have a mad bone in my body. I don't think I had one in the first place. Anger is usually my first reaction, but tonight it was action and love. I still had the task of cleaning up the blood soaked couch so I wanted to make this last "duty" short and sweet... Gabe. Of course, Gabe was still awake. We talked and I tucked him in. He wanted a severe punishment, but I truly believe that knowing you seriously injured someone you love is punishment enough. We were all scared, including Gabe. I hope he learned a lesson and that he will in fact use better self control. He is not allowed to be alone with Finn for a while and that will definitely cramp his (and my) style.... I forgot to mention that this was all caused by a block to the head. Ironically it is a small, light weight block but it has sharp sides, really sharp. Ouch!!
Eric is in Florida. He misses all the "fun". I will have to say that I am glad he was gone though. I needed to learn a lesson too. I needed to rely and call on the Holy Ghost for guidance and peace of mind. I needed to be calm, really calm during a crisis to teach my kids that this is what you do. Decisions are easier to make when you have a calm frame of mind.
Finn is fine. We all are just fine. Now for the really good part. The pictures. Finn had pooped out of his clothes so he was in his diaper only. It made for a great effect. He is such a good boy in and out. I love him. I hope this is the last of the head wounds for him for a while. It is someone else's turn. Not me though and in the scalp, please. Enough of the forehead scars for my boys!!
One last thing, I am so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost. It is easy to forget how important he is in my life. I won't forget. Like I said, I need Him. I am blessed.


No comments:
Post a Comment