Monday, December 6, 2010

Darling Showby


I went to visit my Grandma on Thanksgiving morning. Her memory is fading more and more with each time I see her. She always remembers me because I am not a frequent visitor, but she definitely had a hard time with Eric and my boys. After Eric buttered her up for a few minutes, she clearly remembered him and how he makes her feel. She said to me "That husband of yours always treats me so good. He has a certain presence about him." I agree.

This visit was just me and Gabe. I sat with her in the kitchen and made her some breakfast. She told me that when she was a young girl, her siblings nicknamed her Showby. There was quite an age difference between her and her brothers and sisters. One of her brothers, Ern was very fond of Eva, his little "Showby". She told me that when he would come home from school he would fix a snack of homemade bread, jam and real cream on top (because they lived on a farm). He would always share with her and it made her feel very special and loved. Ern eventually left the house and got married. Even then he would bring his new wife and come and visit his Showby. I could tell that when my sweet Grandmother was sharing this memory with me, it was like she was reliving it. Her dark eyes were bright and I sensed that she really misses Ern and her family.

Homemade bread with jam and cream.... what a treat. Later I had some time to reflect on my child and adulthood. We live in such a world of excess and extremes. I wondered what kind of stories I would be able to tell my Grandchildren one day. I want simple pleasures like bread and jam. I know that my children will never live in the world I grew up in, so carefree and with little stress. Life WAS easier with no cell phones, internet and fast food on every corner. This visit reminded me to slow down, cherish the presence, record the past and greet the future with an apprehensive smile..... Just kidding. The future will come whether I like it or not, so I need to prepare my children and relish in the gospel and my family.

My Grandmother lost 2 sisters. One died several hours after birth, the other died several days after birth. Life was so hard. I can't imagine losing my babies. It makes me grateful to live in a time where that is rare rather than the norm. She is currently croqueting my dad a blanket for the car. I can't believe she can do this BLIND. She has a heart of gold and always does such thoughtful things for her family. Her TV is difficult to work, her radio is confusing and she forgets how to use her CD player. She can't see and lives in a quiet, lonely world.... so what does she do. Makes beautiful blankets for loved ones. I cherish my blankets because each stitch took great effort with greater love. She is the most perfect example of endurance and love. I feel privileged to be in her presence.

Gabriel walked around her house and commented on all the "old fashioned" items like the tv, furniture and beads. He was very well behaved and would come sneak in a hug or two every now and then. My boys know that my Grandmother is very special to me, but Gabe knows differently. He feels how I feel...I don't know how else to explain it. I appreciate his sensitivity. It is one of his many strengths.

When I left, she walked me to the door and I asked to take a picture of her. She turned around and smiled. I always have a heavy heart when I leave her....I know that the reality is that this could be the last time I see her. It is a happy, painful thought. I have said it before, I want her to be happy, but I am a bit selfish. I want her around to share her memories and love with me. My Aunt Julie is the primary caretaker of my Grandmother. My Aunt Julie is everything good and I love her so much. Eva shared some very sweet thoughts about my Aunt. She is another fine example of goodness, service and having charity and the pure love of Christ in her life. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful extended family.

I didn't know the story of Showby and am so glad that I do now. It makes me feel closer to her and the relatives I was never able to know in this world. I love my Grandmother. She is everything I want to be one day except, blind and 95 years old...... No thanks. I love you Grandma Eva!!


I sat on these pink chairs as a child. They weren't pink back then, but they have been around for a long time. I love them. This picure warms my heart. Maybe I will get those chairs..... and I will keep them pink if I do! I love you Gabriel!!


1 comment:

Dayna said...

I believe Ern was the one who named grandma Showby. It is a good story. I'm glad you wrote it down. P.S. I want those pink chairs and I'd keep them pink too - dang we are so alike sometimes:)