Saturday, March 5, 2011

Let's go fly a kite....

Lately the boys have been fascinated with kite flying. We have had kites laying around the house for eons, but nobody has cared or taken the slightest bit of interest.... until now. The ironic part of this is I finally donated MANY of the old kites that have been collecting dust and dreaming of happy children. Coleman and Tate found the last forgotten kite and the intent to fly a kite began.

It was a windy day. In fact it was a "weather/wind advisory day when they made the first attempt. The gusts had actually blown people over so I wasn't sure how they would manage to fly a kite in such strong winds, but... a lesson learned. Tate was in about 10 minutes later, unhappy with a sad story to tell.... The kite was now in the tree having a party in the wind. Coleman was upset and we promised to buy another kite SOON.

"Soon" actually became sooner rather than later (miracle!!) Within two days we made a trip to Target, bought a kite and the next day Eric had to go to Costco and found that with spring approaching, they were selling very cool kites. I love Costco. You never know what you might find.... Bless them! Eric brought home THREE unique, big, AMAZING kites. The boys were soooo happy, but the wind was gone. (I am glad.... I hate the wind with all our big trees on our property! Ick!!) On Wednesday of this week, the wind made a visit. The boys were so happy. Eric had a meeting that was close to home so even he was home to greet the wind with new kites. I had to take Gabe to tutoring, but I decided that we would go late so he could have some time outside with his kite as well. Karma would understand. (o;

The boys LOVE their kites and we can't wait to take them in a place with fewer trees. Trees are definitely a problem.... I am sure we will have a lot more kite posts as the weather gets warmer and tricks are learned etc. I will even look into taking them to Kite Festival in DC this year. You can see the most amazing kites and tricks there. People come from all over the country and even world to show off their kites and all that they can do. Eric learned how to kite surf last year and if my boys keep up their interest in both surfing and kites, that will definitely be on the agenda.




P.S. Did I mention that Eric and I are going to Costa Rica in July. I am VERY excited. I know that this has nothing to do with kites, but the thought of surfing prompted the thought! We are in the OBX one week and then come home only to leave a few days later. Yea!! Can't get enough beach time in!!

1 comment:

Meredith Moulton said...

I got a kite at the smithsonian during the kite flying festival a couple years ago. It was really cool it's one of those things you gotta do! I wish I had a kite out here, its really fun.