Thursday, January 20, 2011

Savior of the World


My ward has been obsessed with this musical play called Savior of the World. The first production happened during my surgery recovery so none of us (meaning my family) were involved. It was a very nice play, but I kind of thought the whole thing was rather ridiculous. A lot of time, energy and money went towards the production of this play. People were goo-goo over their experience in the play. I do find happiness in other peoples' happiness, but I thought that this slice of life was a little over the top....

When round two approached, I thought it would be nice for Coleman to be involved because he likes to sing, act etc. I also thought that if he would have to be involved (not really knowing the major time commitment this would actually entail), that maybe I should be too. After all, I had to drop him off and pick him up... I should just stay and sing. (I didn't say I could sing, I just said I would stay and sing....). And so it began... our play experience. I will have to say it was very nice and extremely worthwhile. Coleman had a wonderful time and really went outside his comfort zone. He was able to interact with wonderful adults and form some unusual and tender "friendships". He was coached, encouraged, praised and loved by many. Coleman has a hard time in the friendship department of life so this was very sweet to me and warmed my heart. My good friend Jennifer was the boss of the whole thing. She really did a wonderful job and knew how to make things work. It is her gift and many were touched. I could tell that Coleman really felt a part of things and that was worth all the driving, sitting, waiting, standing and pretend singing, (JK! I didn't pretend! ha ha!) etc.

I don't think I had quite the experience that so many others had, but it was a very positive experience for me and I am very glad that I chose to participate. I was stuck in a corner and had to wrangle some very difficult girls for the entire time. I actually never was able to see much of the play because of where I was standing and to whom I was holding down, but I was happy to be a part of something that could spiritually touch me and others. I loved the music and enjoyed standing next to another friend, Kalina. She is a saint and has the kind of patience I aspire to have. I wish I would have moved during at least one of the performances (there were 3) because I feel like I really missed out. It is no ones fault but mine. I just felt like I had a job to do and I would do it. I guess I need to be more flexible. Although it may seem as though I am complaining, I have NO complaints. It helped set the mood for a spiritual and peaceful Christmas (even with the accident). I do feel like I could have done more with my family, but the atmosphere in our home was calm and I believe that was a direct result of the play.

We went out on a limb and invited many friends. ALL of them came. I wanted them to see Coleman perform, but the main reason was the message and feeling that came from this inspired play. Watching the crowd was a treat. Many were touched and felt the spirit. What an amazing gift to give our friends, neighbors and even strangers. Coleman invited his favorite teacher, Mr. Bitner. I never heard back from him so I assumed he was not coming. He did come. I was very touched by this. It meant so much to Coleman and us. He came straight from school and hadn't even had dinner. What a dedicated teacher!

Our experience with SOTW was very special and I am so glad that we both shared this together. Coleman is such a good boy and it is situations like this that will build his (our) testimony and bring him closer to our Savior. Our ward family is one of the best. We are blessed to have so many good, righteous, talented people in our midst. I hope we will have the opportunity to participate in something like this again in our lifetime. It is definitely worth it and we are better because of it!

1 comment:

jill said...

That Coleman was terrific! I seriously can't believe what a natural he is... I was also sooo impressed by how many people you invited, that was incredible, I especially loved seeing Judy and meeting her tall husband! You stole the show though, the way you stood so still and sang your heart out! Bravo Angee! Bravo!