Saturday, January 1, 2011

The ghosts of Christmas past (part one)

I feel like Christmas was a hundred years ago. I was sick and tired... Eric was injured. It was very cold outside. The boys had been banished to the house.... Out of sight, out of mind. I have wanted to sit down and write about the month of December, but I haven't found a minute to do so. I am starting this warm morning of 1/1/11, but know that it will have to be short lived. I have lots of things to do and a Christmas explosion waiting to be put away since the 26th (yes, I took down the tree etc the day after Christmas.... I'm bad.)

Our month started with Savior of the World. Busy for Eric, spiritually blissful for Coleman and I. I WILL get to that, but I feel it needs a separate post and a quieter house. I want to peacefully reflect. After the play, the month went on without a hitch until Eric broke his neck. It seems since then that my mind and thoughts have been a blur and I am sure that I missed out on something, but I am also sure I probably won't remember so..... it all works out. I had a virus for almost two weeks too so that really didn't help with any kind of normal clarity. Darn it. Fortunately, I haven't felt rushed or overwhelmed. A "side effect" left over from the play and a gift from a sweet priesthood blessing. I haven't felt spiritually void, but do feel like I could have done more to promote the true meaning of Christmas in our home.

We got a new mattress. For the first week (and while I was sick) it was like getting used to a torture session mixed in with a WWE wrestling match. I woke up tired, sore and for the first time IN MY LIFE, not looking forward to getting into bed. I love to sleep and this was a huge contributor to the blur.... We have since added a new pillow and that is helping. I worry about Eric and his comfort. I wake up a lot and study him. Why? Not sure. Maybe I think staring at him will make him sleep better, harder, and more comfortably.... I am a freak.

The boys had a nice Christmas and loved their gifts. I am so glad. I know that Santa works hard to ensure a pleasant, satisfying Christmas and this year was definitely a good one. Thank you Santa.

Eric is slowly doing better, but the curse of that is when you feel better you start to do more and that is when your body says NO! He is definitely having a NO day. Healing takes time and patience. I know this from experience. Today I may have to tie him to his chair. With that, I will end. I can hear the boys screaming and I am sure Eric can feel no peace with shrieking children and slamming doors.... Darn kids. Darn Christmas explosion. Until later..., and part two (pics included.)

Happy New Year!


No comments: