
On Sunday I was driving home from meeting with Dr. Liss, our insightful homeopathic doctor. I like all kinds of music but rarely get to listen to classical as it is my family's least favorite. (except Coleman!! We are going to go to some serious concerts SOON!!!) Anyway, I was listening to some lovely and relaxing classical music when the Russian musician and composer Rimsky- Korsakov came on. I have a fondness for this composer for many reasons. His music is beautiful, he was very eccentric (which I appreciate) and during our 2nd blissful year of marriage, Eric and I patronized an unusual and special place called the Rimsky-Korsakoffee House in Portland, Oregon.
I haven't thought of that place for years until Sunday morning. It immediately put a smile on my face and later that night I googled it to see if it is still around. Good news!! It is. This "koffee" house is in an old Victorian home in the middle of a busy neighborhood in Portland. At the time, your table would move up and down while you enjoyed your delicious dessert and exotic type tea. Musicians and poets frequented the "koffee" house. The upstairs bathroom was a world in itself. You looked as if you were stepping out into the clouds and the ceiling was painted as if you were looking up underwater. They had a mannequin that they would hide here and there, often scarring you to death or making you laugh til you peed. It was a very eccentric place and we loved going there. Our good friends Ira and Cathy Chudy-Lowery introduced us to the place. Ira is now dead, but I am glad that the Rimsky-Korsakoffee house still lives on!!

2 comments:
Funny thing!! Eric has always talked about this place and I had never been, then my friend and I wanted to hang out, but not drink, so I finally went here just last week! She and I shared such a good dessert. Next time you guys are here, maybe we should make a trip!
Aww. I am glad you went there. I know there are MANY hip and unique places to hang out in PDX, but the RKH is a classic. Getting nervous about everything? Or just excited?!!!!
Post a Comment