Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A part of me

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.
~ Thomas Jefferson





When I was growing up, Utah was the best place on earth. I spent every Christmas and summer there with my Grandparents and cousins. California was also a treat, but Utah felt like home. I have different opinions of Utah now, but I enjoy visiting there and consider it a very family fun and "homey" place to visit. Utah is a little part of me that I can't shake and I am happy my parents are moving there so I can VISIT more. I want my children to know their cousins and love them like I know and love mine. It is nice that we are getting closer and closer together.

I was so happy to see my aunt from California, Aunt Jackie. I haven't seen her in years and it was so wonderful to sit, visit and laugh with her. She hasn't changed in years and for me that is so fun. I adore my aunts and feel so fortunate to know them like I do and have such good relationships with them. My Aunt Julie is one of a kind and has the sweetest heart of anyone I know other than my mother. I love and adore them both!!! Sitting with my cousins at my Grandmother's party was a highlight of my trip. I have a great relationship with all of my cousins and I love them today as much as I did when I saw them a whole lot more. Love only deepens with time. We are all very different, but that only makes things more interesting when we all get together. I miss my cousins in California and wish they could have made it as well. I am hoping to see them in the next year or so. We need to get ourselves to California before Eric pops!! He is a California boy and needs to get there every now and then to feel good and normal!!

Spending time with my sisters and their darling families was also very special. I love and adore them. They add so much joy and goodness into my life. I am crazy about my nieces and nephews!! They are wonderful and I can't get enough of them. I even was able to spend some time with David's daughter, Paris. She is growing up so fast and is such a beautiful, funny young woman.

I was not able to see my Grandmother as much as I would like to have this trip due to the many visitors I had to compete with. She was very nervous about her party and was very happy when it turned out beautiful and perfect. My sweet dad came out and it was great to see him. He is such a good son and takes such good care of my Grandmother. The party was amazing. My Aunt Julie arranged all the food, flowers and decorations (pictures of my beautiful Grandmother). Everything looked and tasted lovely. Many people showed up to celebrate Eva's 95 glorious years. My Grandpa's brother Frank showed up. He looks like a skinner version of my Grandfather and I am always taken back when I see him. He held my arm tenderly for about 5 minutes while he chatted with my dad. It felt so familiar and good that I didn't move a muscle the entire time. He felt like my Grandfather and I was sorry when he had to finally sit down. I miss that kind of touch and it means a lot to me to see the many generations of my family. We have a proud legacy.

Perhaps the most special memory of my trip was church the following morning. My Grandmother was tired but her spirits were happy. I sat next to her and held her tight. I had a very special experience during the sacrament that I will save for another day, another post, but I will say that I felt the spirit very strongly and could hardly contain myself. My Grandmother whispered to me, " I am so glad that you are here." and I knew that I was absolutely in the right place with the right person. It was a tender moment and one that I will never forget. She is so sweet, loving and kind. I am blessed.

I am still collecting pics of the party etc. I will post the stragglers at a later date. I did want to write about my experiences while they are still fresh on my mind. I love the pics of my Grandmother in her younger years and wish I would have taken more. I hope to get copies. (Dad!!!!.... Mom!!!!!!!!!) It was a wonderful trip and I am so glad that I went. My trips to Utah keep getting better and better. I am fortunate to have such a comfortable, nice place to stay while I am there, a great spa down the street, a car that is cute and works and family to fill my time and make my life better!! Life is good!!

No comments: