Thursday, October 27, 2011

We have a teenager in the house....

Today is Coleman Paul's 13th birthday. How did that happen? We are lucky in that he is still as sweet as ever and has yet to embrace the teenage sassy-ness that will eventually creep into all of our lives. I thought I would go through a few of our pics and pull out some cute ones with 13 reasons why I (we) love Coleman sooooo much. I think I only got to 2005 because we have so many darling pics of our precious CPM. Oh well.... there are many years to go and many more opportunities to post pics of our teenager as a wee one.


1. Coleman is a lot of fun. He is not loud (like his mother), but he is asks everyday, "what are we doing today/tonight?" And by everyday, I mean EVERYDAY. He is always ready to go and have fun. He hardly complains when the place or activity is not his cup of tea (except maybe Milkshake...) Lol!!

2. Coleman is a rule keeper. He would never ride a bike in the house now.... He keeps us all in line. He reminds me to be good and why we should be good. He is our voice of reason.

3. Coleman is a hard worker and very helpful. He often is the only one to help his father outdoors on projects, yard work etc. He is typical in that he needs indoor reminders (and never makes his bed... like his mother), but he doesn't need prodding and poking when the task is serious and really needs completing. I really appreciate that.

4. Coleman is serious. In fact, he still makes this very face (his serious face!) He is serious about all his activities. This makes him very focused and responsible. At times I want him to calm down and chill out, but this quality will make him a successful student, missionary, friend, husband and father.

5. Coleman is also silly. He does a pretty good job of balancing his serious and silly parts of his personality. He likes jokes, riddles, pranks and even a good laugh every now and then. I like it when he laughs really hard. It makes me happy. He makes me happy!!

6. Coleman has a very sweet, kind disposition. He is thoughtful and sensitive. He has a very special presence about him due to his sensitive nature. One day this will make him a very unique, special man (like his Daddy)!

7. Coleman is a loyal friend. I know that he will be blessed with many good, worthy friends as he gets older. He always treats people well even when they don't deserve it. He is a good example to his brothers in this aspect.

8. Coleman is very athletic, but definitely not a jock. He can do most sports well and with confidence, but is not a sporty boy. He got his black belt in karate after many years and is currently working on tennis. He is strong and healthy. He cares about taking care of his body and mind. I am very proud of him!!


9. Coleman loves the beach and is a lot of fun at the beach. The kid is a fish and will play in the water for hours. He make the beach more fun and I think he is the happiest at the beach playing in the water and spending time with friends and family.


10. Coleman is a great student and always has been. He does his homework, studies on his own, keeps an organized binder and cares about his grades. He loves to learn and is an avid reader. He is smart and curious. He makes me think and want to know more about life. He makes middle school look easy and I know it is actually not.

11. Coleman is a good brother. I know he gets frustrated with them at times (happens with a bunch of attention deficit kiddies), but I know he cares about them and wants good relationships with them. He is a protector and a great example to all of our boys. I know that our boys will grow up to be the best of friends because of Coleman and his determination to be a good, fun brother.

12. Coleman has the best smile... with or without teeth. He doesn't like to show it too much, but I love it and cherish the moment when he decides it is safe to show it. His smile warms my heart.

13. Coleman will try new things. He will try new activities, food, books, show, whatever and with a good attitude. He is so mature in this aspect. I really am grateful for this quality. It makes life a lot easier.

AND ONE TO GROW ON.... 14. Coleman and his Dad have a very close, special relationship. I should be jealous, but instead I am so happy. Coleman likes to cuddle (don't tell anyone) and especially with his Dad. They have a deal that they will hold hands until Coleman is 18 and he is still keeping that promise. They share stories, have deep talks, text one another and have a close and unique bond. They really love and adore each other. That makes me very happy. It blesses all of our lives and will be so good for the future with all of its road bumps. This is how our relationships should look like and be.

So, Happy birthday CP (are you with me?!) I love you. We love you. I am looking forward to the teenage years because it is so fun to see you grow into the amazing person I always knew you would be. You are wonderful. Thank you for blessing our lives!!

10 comments:

JENNIFRO said...

What a fun walk down Coleman lane! I remember him at all those stages.. and you're right, he really hasn't changed much! Still just as sweet and genuine as always. Coleman is such a nice boy, he will ALWAYS take a minute to look in my eyes and ask me questions about how I'm doing or whatever. I know with Coleman what I'm going to get--because he is consistent, which is a wonderful quality I think. I hope Coleman knows how much we love him. Nick comments all the time about how nice it is to have Coleman in class with him--he's kind, respectful and serious in a good way. Coleman is definitely an awesome kid to have as your oldest.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLEMAN! We are very glad you are a part of our lives... Now get out the HF and scare some folks!!

karma said...

LOVED LOVED LOVED ALL THE PICTURES!!!!!
Happy Happy Birthday to the nicest kid there is.

Coleman~ I know you don't remember living next door to us but I remember you and all the cute things you did.

We LOVED having a baby next door.

AND we LOVE watching you grow into an amazing young man.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!

mainelove said...

Darling Coleman- We love you and miss you soooo much. We are on our way to Maryland tonight and we will squeeze you before you can squeeze us. A big fat birthday squish from the Pavuks. We owe you a few. Right?

Happy Birthday to one of our favorite people in the whole wide world.

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about Coleman so much leading up to today, his big 13. I love when I come to visit and can always count on Coleman at bed time to talk to me and tell me interesting stories about life. I always save him last to say goodnight so we can talk as long as we can. Coleman you are so great, fun, loving, and kind! I love watching you grow up into an awesome person. Happy Birthday to a great nephew! I can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving.

jill said...

Happy Birthday Coleman!!! You are such a wonderful boy and so many love you!! I loved looking at all of those darling pictures of such a darling boy... I wish you loads and loads of happiness on your birthday and in the coming year! I love you!!!

Denise Cherie's Jubilee said...

To our dearest cousin on his big teenage birthday.

I can't believe it was already 11 years ago that you sat in a movie theatre with us in California, and analyzed the movie in full.
You have always been such a sweet and loving boy with lots of wonderful qualities. We can't wait to visit you again, or have you come visit us. I hope this birthday is very special, as I know that every birthday is special in the Martinis Family.
All our love,
Denise, Aviv, David, Andrew, and Adam

Tia Bunker said...

The kids are screaming "Happy B-day Coleman"...it has caused quite a commotion at my house..this turning 13 crazy nonsense. We don't even know what to get you so we sent a funny singing silly ha-ha card. Ian says "Happy scary b-day;" Isabelle says she wishes you b-day kisses xoxo; Riley is making some noisy noise and giving you the peace sign; Rose says she's sending you a stinky 13 yr old cake and Uncle Brad and I just sweetly say we love you and happy, warm sunny day! XOXO

Unknown said...

Coleman is rad. There's no one like him. He's super smart and super sweet and really fun to talk to. He's just awesome. :)

Dayna said...

Happy Birthday Dear Coleman. Reading all of this makes us wish more that we could see you and your family more often. We enjoy our times together and how sweet you are with our kids. You were sooo great with little Grace this summer. You are a great example to my girls of what a good boy/guy should be - thanks for that. Happy birthday to you. We hope you enjoyed it and had a great day. By the way, your mom did not mention how handsome you are to boot all of your other good qualities.:)

Liz Morris said...

Happy belated birthday Coleman! I cannot believe you're a teenager! That's crazy! I remember when you were a little tyke! I love the pictures and your mom's wonderful words about you! I hope you had a great birthday and had lots of fun! Hugs!
Love,
Aunt Liz and Uncle Jake