Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Eric's BRILLIANT idea




So, although we live in Darnestown, our zip code is in Germantown. I guess that "officially" makes Germantown our community. We do go there a lot to eat, shop, go to the movies and even attend the theater. The kids doctors are there and of course the Amish Market. In August a "flash mob" of African American young people (I am trying to be so pc...lol) went into a 7-11 around one in the morning (where are these kids' parents????) and looted the place. It was all caught on a pretty good surveillance camera (so hopefully MANY of them will get caught.... the police seemed pretty sure they would be). This type of dishonest and deviant behavior has been prevalent in Philly and a few other cities, but until August the DC metro area has been sparred.

We were disgusted that this type of crime practically happened in our backyard. It is ridiculous that teens think they can get away with such a crime because it is done in large groups. Eric decided to be proactive and show the community that we care. He posted a "flash mob buy in" at the same 7-11 on facebook and sent an email to friends in the area. The day of our flash mob, we had a pretty good earthquake which caused a lot of traffic (a lot more if you can believe that) so many people were not able to get to Germantown. All in all we had about 45 people there and that is actually MORE people than the criminals had that robbed the place. We all spent a lot of money and many families had dinner there (gross, but nice!!) The clerk was a little freaked out at first, but each responsible adult told them what we were doing and he calmed. We hung out outside of the store and ate treats, hotdogs and enjoyed ourselves. I am not sure that 7-11 has seen that many white people.... ever. Ha! I heard several people say they have never seen 7-11 so crowded.

I love Eric so much. This is a positive, proactive way of showing our community that we care and that we won't tolerate such behavior and crime. Our friend in Oregon is a newscaster and she remarked on her show about the flash mob buy in. If we do nothing, then nothing will be done. The earthquake messed it up a little, but it was a good lesson for all of our children. I think Eric is so positive and his "flash mob buy in" idea brilliant!

I love you cupcake!!

No comments: