Saturday, August 28, 2010

Vacationland (part one)


Posting about Maine (better known as Vacationland) is KILLING me..... I had no decent photos of our amazing trip. I brought my camera sans the battery. I have a new iPhone, but am just figuring it out so my pics taken with that are grainy and poor quality. (not from the phone, but from the user.....). Pam's camera is way old and also takes bad photos. She has yet to forward me any of the pics as she did not have her battery charged as welll and..... being that she is rarely on her computer, I may never get a single one from her , good or bad as they are. Darn it!!!

So, this is a lame disclaimer.... our pics are not great. The trip, however, was fabulous. The Pavuks are wonderful hosts and hostesses. We went to the beach almost everyday. We ate lobster and ice cream almost everyday (and by "we", I mean me.... Shame! Shame!) We took outdoor showers almost everyday. (do you sense some repetition.....?!!!!) We hiked around Fort Foster, picked blueberries in New Hampshire, went tide pooling at the Seacoast Science Center, ate Flo's dogs TWICE, fished in the ocean and saw a gigantic whale and seals. Wow!! I even got some shopping done in New Hampshire and a double date night with my darling friends and my man. The last Saturday we were there, we hooked up with an old college friend (Karl) and met his lovely wife, Elizabeth and their blended family. I love Facebook! So..., ha!!!!

I will make due with what I have because a memory is a memory, good pic or not. Hopefully the ones I get from Pam (Pam!!!! Come on now!) will be wonderful. I do know that Ed's (Pam's awesome dad) pics were good but few. Men....

Maine is beautiful. The scenery, architecture, beaches and smell tantalize the senses. Finn went there with a rash and one day on the clean, cold, dreamy beach and it was gone. The days are warm and the nights cool. Each house looks like it could be in a storybook or at least in a Martha Stewart magazine. I was happy to be there and sad that we waited 5 long years in our return.

So, if you haven't been to New England, you are missing out. Get in your car, flop on that plane, run your fastest and hitchhike only with honest folks, so you can experience this memorable, picturesque, charming part of our great and diverse nation. It really is the ideal place for a vacation, hence the state motto of "Vacationland". Get a move on friends!! (O;

And with that..... here is Maine!!

Lunch time and "alone time" for Tate at the Seacoast Science Center.

Our crew. Can I just say that packing your own lunch is so the way to go!!! My parents taught me well!!
Checking out a Maine lobster. Yum!!

My darling Gabe

Coleman and a poisonous lion fish. Yikes!!

A rare blue lobster. I am sure it tastes delic!! Yum yum!!

Miles dressed up Finn as a shark or a whale....and he attacked him. Be careful what you wish for!

Olivia and Finn driving a boat IN the building... without a proper license!!

Gabe looked at....that?...for a long time. I saw people and a house. What did Gabe see?

Squint your eyes and you can see the boys out tide pooling.

Looking for creatures,

and looking,

and looking!! (O:

I could really do without the bunny ears, but kids will be kids. I have very few in my pics so a few is okay.... for now! What a good looking group of children!!

We found a great picture and climbing tree. Finn was a little apprehensive, but the other kiddies loved it. Especially you know you!!!

Poor Tate and Pam got their heads cut off. I hope it didn't hurt too badly.

You know who!! XOXO

Coleman Paul

Gabriel Asay

Miles Red

Olivia Grace

Blueberry picking at Blueberry Bay Farm in Stratham, New Hampshire. A beautiful farm indeed!!

Tate Alexander

Coleman does not like posing for pics, but I make him. One day he will thank ME. But for now, thank YOU for being so cooperative Coleman, my darling firstborn!! (wink wink!!)

Finn sampling the fare. Yum!!

Gabe
Looking for berries or....trouble!!
Sweet Rose
Getting tired of picking..... It was a little hot, for a Mainer!!
Blueberry season has just begun in Maine and New Hampshire. They are abundant and oh, so good!!
Olivia and..... Clara? (Help me out Pamela!!)
How firm a foundation!! (O;
Climbing on the rocks at Fort Foster. I love my boys!!

Happy, handsome Tate!!

Part of the old Fort Foster and lighthouse. 100 years old!!
Check out the lighthouse in the background. Aw, Maine. Lovely Maine!!

Tate finding the BEST hiding place ever. And... then Gabe ruined it, but it was good while it lasted. What a brave boy! He had to swim out there to hide in the rocks.

I actually did accompany the kiddies to Maine. Tate was unhappy. I love my Tate!!
Finny playing in the surf. He LOVES the beach! Too bad I didn't get a pic of his "downward dog". The beach puts him in an instant yoga pose.
I love the way Finn is looking at Corey. So trusting. I don't think Ali is all that thrilled however....
Finn will get you Corey!! (Thanks for babysitting! Now, BE GOOD!!!)
Gabi, my fierce digger!!


The usual crew and Natalie Chopelas. It was a little chilly on Saturday.
It's all good though, it's all good!!


Hey! There's Stan! He does live in Maine! LOL!! Working hard on our incredible "beach construction project".

We made record time there (7 1/2 hours!) and literally crawled home (12 hours!) This is one of Finn's many attempted escapes from the dreaded car seat. He really was a trooper!!


We will be back sooner rather than later. Thank you to our lifelong friends for taking care of all of our needs. They even ditched their dog for the week so Tate wouldn't sneeze too death.... and de-dandered their house. Those are my kind of friends! XOXOXO Love you!!!

No comments: