I took a trip just for me this past week. I wanted to see my Grandmother and sisters before the big surgery day. It wasn't the best timing and I definitely had second thoughts before going, but it turned out to be so relaxing, fun and special. I love spending time with my Grandmother and sisters. Every minute was wonderful.
My Grandmother, Eva Madonna Poulsen Coleman is going to be 95 in May. She is amazing. She is the first "fancy" person I ever met. Back in the day, she was an incredible cook, an impeccable house keeper, a mean bowler, a stickler for manners, a great golfer, a sweet wife, a strict but kind Grandmother and just an all around unique, wonderful woman. She is a friend to many, a daughter of a pioneer, lived through hard, yet tender times and has a huge, close legacy. We number many and all really love each other and get along!! She has been a fine example of love and acceptance.
My sweet Grandma Coleman is now blind. She can see just enough to play a long and exciting game of Skip-Bo and to see if you are happy or sad. She still lives by herself, is quick witted, fiercely competitive and has a heart of gold. She is fair in all of her doings, honest, sweet, tender, righteous and has a pure soul. I love her so much and appreciate her stories, her smile, her kisses, and her bright eyes, blind as they are...
Sitting in her hot house, spending quality time with her and playing Skip-Bo for hours is a treat and a privilege. Her memory is fading in the present, but she can remember the past and loves to talk about it. Her aunt, Ellis Moffit lived to be 95 and started the Poulsen family curse of living to the 90's and on. My Grandmother has lived without my much missed Grandfather, John Lewis for 20 years. She is ready to see him. She told me that she is going to live as long as Ellis and then it is her time. I think she has been around to teach us humility, long suffering, endurance, acceptance, tolerance and unconditional love. She is the best kind of teacher and I am so glad that I have lived 40 years with her.
I took some pics of things that I love in her house. She used to constantly redecorate her house, but when my Grandfather died and her sight started to fade, she became happy with what she had and therefore things have changed very little in many years. I am grateful for this and wish I would have taken pics of Grandma Baker's home. I love the bedroom I slept in as a child, teenager and young adult. It was my dad's room and the walls are decorated with the ends of wooden boxes. My dad collected them as a young boy. I love the green dangling beads that I had to walk through to get to the bedroom. I have played and played with the beads and yet they still hang there. I love the chair that Eva needle pointed and contemplate stealing it!! (O: I love so much more and wanted to capture the familiarity and sweetness of her home.
As I drove away from her home, she was quietly "watching" me from her door. I stopped the car and stared at her for a few seconds. I hope this is not the last time I see her, but if it is then my trip is even more special. I know she is ready and I want her to be happy.
My Grandmother, Eva Madonna Poulsen Coleman is going to be 95 in May. She is amazing. She is the first "fancy" person I ever met. Back in the day, she was an incredible cook, an impeccable house keeper, a mean bowler, a stickler for manners, a great golfer, a sweet wife, a strict but kind Grandmother and just an all around unique, wonderful woman. She is a friend to many, a daughter of a pioneer, lived through hard, yet tender times and has a huge, close legacy. We number many and all really love each other and get along!! She has been a fine example of love and acceptance.
My sweet Grandma Coleman is now blind. She can see just enough to play a long and exciting game of Skip-Bo and to see if you are happy or sad. She still lives by herself, is quick witted, fiercely competitive and has a heart of gold. She is fair in all of her doings, honest, sweet, tender, righteous and has a pure soul. I love her so much and appreciate her stories, her smile, her kisses, and her bright eyes, blind as they are...
Sitting in her hot house, spending quality time with her and playing Skip-Bo for hours is a treat and a privilege. Her memory is fading in the present, but she can remember the past and loves to talk about it. Her aunt, Ellis Moffit lived to be 95 and started the Poulsen family curse of living to the 90's and on. My Grandmother has lived without my much missed Grandfather, John Lewis for 20 years. She is ready to see him. She told me that she is going to live as long as Ellis and then it is her time. I think she has been around to teach us humility, long suffering, endurance, acceptance, tolerance and unconditional love. She is the best kind of teacher and I am so glad that I have lived 40 years with her.
I took some pics of things that I love in her house. She used to constantly redecorate her house, but when my Grandfather died and her sight started to fade, she became happy with what she had and therefore things have changed very little in many years. I am grateful for this and wish I would have taken pics of Grandma Baker's home. I love the bedroom I slept in as a child, teenager and young adult. It was my dad's room and the walls are decorated with the ends of wooden boxes. My dad collected them as a young boy. I love the green dangling beads that I had to walk through to get to the bedroom. I have played and played with the beads and yet they still hang there. I love the chair that Eva needle pointed and contemplate stealing it!! (O: I love so much more and wanted to capture the familiarity and sweetness of her home.
As I drove away from her home, she was quietly "watching" me from her door. I stopped the car and stared at her for a few seconds. I hope this is not the last time I see her, but if it is then my trip is even more special. I know she is ready and I want her to be happy.








I love you Grandma Coleman.
I love you forever.
I love you forever.
3 comments:
What awesome photos! And what an amazing tribute to our Gram you wrote . . . your observations bring back so many memories. Can you send me the photos via email? Love you!
This is so great. I am glad you took pics. Our Grandma is a great lady. Thanks for capturing a bit of that. You are getting really good at this. Love you. P.P.
Anjie, that was amazing. You did such a great job.
Post a Comment