Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hidden Blessings


We have had a very cold winter as of yet. Colder than usual. Early last night I noticed that the house seemed cooler than it should be. I checked the thermostats and sure enough, one said 66 and the other 62.... OH NO! I know what this means...... I ran outside with a flashlight and sure enough.... our propane tank was on EmPtY.... That means no heat and no hot water. Eric is out of town and all I could think about is why why why? Well, I hunkered down as much as I could (we have three space heaters, but one of them is keeping the guineas warm...) and got everyone situated. It was a cold night. I slept with Finn and Tate. My face was cold so that kept me awake most of the night. I woke up and the thermostats said 54 and 52. It was going to be a cold morning....

I started to build a fire hoping that would warm up the kitchen area and I heard.... BEEP BEEP BEEP... Ha! The propane truck!! Yipee!! We are saved! I started my fire and go out in the crisp morning air to greet the propane king. He tells me to wait a few minutes before I turn on my furnaces. I wait and go downstairs. I open the door and to my horror, see my hot water heater engulfed in flames!! I have a FIRE in my home!!!!!

I will not give you the play by play details, but it was so scary! I did manage to get the fire out and had good help from the propane man, the local fire department and my courageous neighbors. (Thanks Matt, Mary and Chief!!) When everyone left I cried and cried. The many "what ifs" are too hard to think about, but the reality of them is more horrifying. When I finally got my little family together, we knelt down and thanked Heavenly Father for our safety and for taking care of us and our beautiful home.

I was planning a FHE activity the other night where you go on a "thankful hunt" (like a treasure hunt), but you find the things in your home in which you are the most thankful for. My hunt would be much different today. These are my hidden blessings and the things that I am thankful for today.
We were blessed and I know it.

If I did not have an extinguisher, I could not have put out the fire. I am so thankful that we have one of these and that I knew where it was and how to use it.


Our alarm company called right away, stayed on the line with me and called the fire station very quickly. I am thankful that we are able to afford this type of protection and for the great customer service and prompt action of our alarm company (Myer Emco)!


It took the firemen about 10 minutes if even that to get here. I am thankful for men and women who choose this type of profession. It can't be easy and at times, it is so dangerous. These people have families too.

Most importantly, I am thankful to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ for keeping us safe. His guidance and protection are invaluable and so amazing. I know He loves me and my children.

I have learned my lesson. I went out and bought an extinguisher for all levels of my home. I am ready to avert disaster and know that I have guardian angels who are ready too!! I don't want to repeat the events of today, but I learned some lessons that I will not forget.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOLY MOLY ANJ!!

What made the fire start in the first place? That is so scary!!